Should you become an iOS developer in 2021?
Hello there! Are you considering the option of becoming an iOS developer? I am here to help you out! In this article, we will analyze the advantages and disadvantages of the field.
an image from my iosdev.kz Instagram account
Pros of iOS development
There are plenty of reasons to choose iOS development if you are searching for a possible future career or hobby.
- The app market now is bigger than ever
- Demand and salaries for iOS developers are high
- Apple users spend more money on app purchases compared to Android users, which is important if you are planning to be an Indie developer
- Handful and beginner-friendly tools, which are the main reason I stayed with iOS development
- There are promising native iOS technologies like SwiftUI and ARKit.
Cons of iOS development
- Platform limitations: iOS is not as widespread as Android, and the OS is closed for customizations.
- A requirement for a macOS device: you have to own one to be able to develop apps for iOS. It may be inconvenient for some since Apple products are not cheap.
What do you need to start?
There are free and paid courses/books/articles for you to read(spoiler: this is the topic of my next post!). But as with any other hobby or skill, iOS development(and programming overall) requires a lot of time and patience.
To develop an application on your own, you must become acquainted with some Computer Science knowledge and practice a lot. Hopefully, the process of learning is compelling, and you are not alone in this.
So, should you become an iOS developer? Well, if you want to - of course! There should be nothing stopping you from that. While it may sound cliché, the most important here is discipline and motivation since everything else is pretty much solvable.
Until next time!
I hope this article was helpful to you! Share with this post and follow me on Instagram where I post the short versions of my iOS development articles. You can also visit my Medium account.
P.S: any support is highly appreciated ;)
Thanks for reading!
Included media of Apple WWDC2019 wallpaper is used for non-commercial editorial use