Junior iOS developer skills
So far, we have talked about a lot of general information regarding iOS development. But what are the specific skills you need to get a junior iOS developer job? Hopefully, today’s post answers this question.
an image from my iosdev.kz Instagram account
- Working with Xcode
- Using Cocoa Touch(Foundation + UIKit): UICollectionView, UITableView, UIScrollView and so on
- Auto Layout
- Implementing basic design patterns(MVC, Delegation…)
- Solid experience with main iOS frameworks(Core Data, AVKit, Core Animation, etc.)
- Key-value coding(KVO, Notifications)
- Threading and concurrency
- Networking(REST API, JSON)
- Basics of UI & Unit testing
- Debugging in Xcode
- Clean code principles
- Push notifications
- Publishing to the App Store
- Working with Xcode Instruments(Timer Profiler, Leaks)
- Understanding of CI/CD
- MVVM, VIPER, and more advanced design patterns
- Some experience with popular 3rd party frameworks(Alamofire, SwiftyJSON, etc.)
Good to know:
- If you have no experience working in a commercial environment, try applying for an entry-level role first
- Before applying to a Junior iOS developer job, make a portfolio and publish your app in the App Store
- Prepare for the technical interview
- Always take into account whether a company is a good fit for you, avoid settling for less
- During your first job, prioritize learning, not money
Until next time!
I hope this article was helpful to you! Share with this post and follow me on Instagram where I post the short versions of my iOS development articles. You can also visit my Medium account.
P.S: any support is highly appreciated ;)
Thanks for reading!
Included media of Apple WWDC2019 wallpaper is used for non-commercial editorial use